Assist and carry out those tasks required to maintain client communications, patient care, and hospital inventory as determined by veterinarians.
Knowing client and patient names and the reason for their visit, assisting with coffee, restroom, etc, smile and be empathetic and comforting
Place priority on answering the phone before the 4th ring, ensure that appropriate coverage exists to phones are never left unanswered, check and process voicemail, triage phone calls for techs and DVMs and degree of urgency. Process all client phone requests and document all phone conversations with clients in the medical record.
Scheduling new and existing patients on the phone and in person, collecting data, placing reminder calls 1 day before, making recheck appointments at the time of check-out, and tracking and rescheduling cancelled appointments.
Recording all conversations with clients in the medical records, recording messages and patient updates, obtaining medical records from referring practices, alerting referring practices of patients euthanized at our practice, fax records when requested.
Maintain a clean and tidy reception desk and lobby, free from animal hair and bodily waste, ensure coffee station is clean and stocked, assist technicians in cleaning the exam rooms.
Mail medications, information, etc to clients, other practices, etc., answer or triage emails in general contact box, alert DVMs to incoming faxes via email, process incoming mail, ensure outgoing mail is retrieved by post office.
Create Facebook and twitter posts on behalf of the practice, assist clients in filing out Social Media Waiver, take photos of each pet for the record
Collect payment at the time of service, assist clients with filing out CareCredit applications, settle merchant credit machine at the end of each day, maintain accurate financial records regarding the cash drawer, compile daily checks and credit card reports and give to Practice Owner at the end of the day unless instructed otherwise.
OTHER POSSIBLE DUTIES, which include completing available continuing education, and other duties assigned to you. After completing training in front office duties, all Receptionists/Client Care Coordinators will also be trained in and expected to assist in the following:
EXAM ROOM ASSISTANCE:
Check clients into exam rooms, obtaining an accurate patient history, restrain patient during examination and in-room treatments and sample collections, create and discuss treatment plans with clients, answering questions about recommendations, fill prescriptions based on written sig, enter patient charges, educate client about treatments, recommendations, discharge instructions, prescription and over-the-counter medication instructions, and routine advisements, such as flea and tick prevention, heartworm testing and prevention, vaccinations, and any other services that will enhance the life of the pet.
Includes documenting all client conversations, patient procedures, patient observations, and any other notes in
medical records; calling clients to update patient condition, communicating drop off and pick up times, assisting the veterinarian with client phone calls and questions, and maintaining/ creating client information packets.
HOSPITAL UPKEEP ASSISTANCE:
Clean exam rooms after each use, stock exam rooms, client restroom, pharmacy, and reception area, clean and maintain organization of pharmacy area, clean and maintain organization of the reception/ waiting area.
TREATMENT ROOM ASSISTANCE:
Restrain patients for medical treatments and sample collection as requested, assist in patient nail trims, anal gland expression, and other non-invasive procedures, record patient treatments and procedures in patient file in accordance with practice policy, prepare treatment area for patient procedures based on patient need and veterinarian preference, prepare samples for pick up from reference lab, prepare samples and run tests on in-house laboratory equipment, assist with positioning and capture of radiographs when needed
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/ or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Communicate effectively with clients.
- Work within a team framework and interact as the situation dictates.
- Communicate and understand verbal and written directions.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- High school diploma or equivalent, some college preferred
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees. Outstanding written and oral communication skills, and compassionate, patient client service skills.
- Ability to apply basic math to collect payment, make change, and relay financial information to clients.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals and risk of radiation. Use of practice provided Personal Protective Equipment is essential if needed for any duty. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be regularly exposed to the possibility of an animal bite or scratch from an animal. Proper restraining techniques are to be followed at all times.
- The noise level in the environment is moderate.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential function.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, use hands to type, handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, talk or hear. Must be able to use a telephone, with or without modifications. The employee is frequently required to sit. The employee may be required to lift up to 50 pounds. The vision requirements include: close vision, distant vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
DISCLAIMER: This job description is not meant to be an all-inclusive listing of duties expected of this position. This job description, the duties and expectations may change at any time.