Assist and carry out those tasks required to maintain patient care, hospital cleanliness and inventory management as needed.
ANIMAL CARE AND TREATMENT:
Includes safely walking canine boarding and hospitalized patients in allocated areas of practice grounds, safely transferring feline patients from carrier to kennel to carrier, maintaining a clean, safe environment for boarding animals, feeding and watering all boarding patients according to owner and veterinary staff instructions, maintaining litter boxes for feline patients, monitoring patients for signs of illness or stress and alerting appropriate Doctor or Technician of patient anomalies, medicating boarding patients per Doctor or client instructions, ensuring the constant comfort of all boarding patients, including additional bedding, comfort, toys, etc., based on patient needs, maintaining a high level of compassion for patients in our care.
Includes documenting all client conversations, patient procedures, patient observations, and any other notes in
medical records; calling clients to update patient condition, communicating drop off and pick up times, assisting the veterinarian with client phone calls and questions, and maintaining/ creating client information packets.
Includes advising clients of patient’s status while boarding in the practice, admitting and discharging boarding patients as needed, assisting clients with multiple pets, appropriate record keeping, upkeep and tracking of patient belongings (ensuring they are returned to the owner when pet is picked up), maintaining compassion, sympathy, and professionalism during high-stress situations.
Includes vacuuming, mopping, changing garbage, dusting, laundry, following daily, weekly, and monthly task lists, cleaning and maintaining sinks, cleaning, sanitizing, and maintaining litter boxes and food/ water bowls, cleaning and sanitizing patient cages and kennels, proper dilutions for cleaning solutions, cleaning windows and doors, replenishing supplies (including paper towels, garbage bags, air fresheners, etc), maintaining cleaning supply and patient care supply inventory, knowledge of patient isolation protocols, overall maintenance of the sights and smells of the hospital, both inside and outside the building. Cleaning exam rooms once exams are completed. Making and sterilizing surgical packs. Ensuring that over the counter products are cleaned and stocked in the Reception area. Maintaining restroom cleanliness at all times.
Completing available continuing education, and other duties assigned to you.
• To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/ or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Communicate effectively with clients.
• Follow hospital protocols accurately
• Work within a team framework and interact as the situation dictates.
• Communicate and understand verbal and written directions.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
• High school diploma or equivalent
• Experience caring for animals in a veterinary kennel environment preferred.
• Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of clients or employees.
• Ability to accurately measure pet foods for patient feeding, ability to verify and administer proper medication amounts for pets, ability to accurately measure cleaning supplies for use in the practice.
•Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to problem solve quickly.
• The practice provides a safe, comfortable workplace for all team members. Reasonable accommodations may be made to individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of their role.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals and risk of radiation. Use of practice provided Personal Protective Equipment is essential if needed for any duty. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be regularly exposed to the possibility of an animal bite or scratch from an animal. Proper restraining techniques are to be followed at all times.
• The noise level in the environment is moderate.
• The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential function.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, restrain, handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit. The employee is regularly required to lift up to 50 pounds. The vision requirements include: close vision, distant vision, peripheral vision, depth
perception, and ability to adjust focus.
DISCLAIMER: This job description is not meant to be an all-inclusive listing of duties expected of this position.
This job description, the duties and expectations may change at any time.