Under policy direction from the Practice Manager and/or Owner, the Lead Technician performs a wide range of difficult to complex administrative activities related to the hospital providing quality patient care and excellent client service, oversight of team schedule and work flow, management of department assets, marketing and promotion of services, staffing and personnel operations, and discretionary activities, that serve to support effective business operations.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Customer service.
• Human resource skill.
• Financial budget management.
• Knowledge of sales and marketing techniques.
• Good communication skills, both written and oral.
• Goal oriented.
• Background in managing service oriented operations.
• Ability to plan, organize and effectively present ideas and concepts.
• Ability to take information obtained from clients, staff, and other sources, discern that which is credible and assess the hospital and its operation objectively.
• Must be able to handle multiple tasks at once, and deal with high levels of stress in an environment of changing priorities.
• Must have strong medical skills.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• High School Diploma.
• Certified or Registered Technician status or equivalent practice experience of at least 5 years.
• Interview (along with Practice Manager and/or Office Manager), train, review, schedule (with Office Manager), discipline, and discharge technical staff (along with Practice Manager and/or Office Manager).
• Can transfer employees to work another position within the hospital (with Practice Manager approval).
• Can transfer employees from part-time to full-time staying within controlled payroll budget (with Practice Manager approval).
• Acts as first line of communication/contact for Technicians, Assistants, and Hospital Attendants.
• Dependable attendance is required.
• Any allergies to animals must be controllable through medication.
• Must be able to lift 40 pounds.
• Must be willing to work long or irregular hours under pressure conditions.
• This position requires the ability to walk, bend, stand and reach constantly during a minimum 8-hour day.
• Visual acuity sufficient to maintain accurate records, recognize people and understand written directions.
• Ability to speak and hear sufficiently to understand, give information in person and over the telephone.
• Fine motor skills adequate for utilizing hospital equipment such as electric clippers, syringes, radiology equipment, laboratory equipment, computers, etc.
The following is a list of essential job requirements. This list may be revised at any time and additional duties not
listed here may be assigned as needed. Job Functions and Job Responsibilities include overseeing that the following occur within the hospitals.
STAFF MANAGEMENT – TECHNICAL STAFF:
• With Practice Manager and/or Office Manager, interview any viable candidate for open positions.
• With Practice Manager and/or Office Manager, perform staff performance and salary reviews.
• Disciplinary Actions with assistance of Practice Manager and/or Office Manager.
• Terminations with assistance of Practice Manager and/or Office Manager.
• Training, education, developing of staff.
• Scheduling the team along with the Office Manager.
• Assign job responsibility to each staff member, directing traffic in hospital, (patient care, treatments and staff duties on a daily basis).
• Supervise staff to assure that each job is being effectively handled.
• Employee policy enforcement.
• Employee relations and communications.
• Payroll calculations, goal calculations, time clock maintenance with the assistance of Office Manager and Practice Manager.
• Monitor employee competence and effectiveness.
• Mediate issues as they come up.
• Oversee process of patient admitting, hospitalization and discharging.
• First line of contact for questions, administration, delegation and completion of Veterinarian’s medical orders.
• Mentor (work with) technical staff in nursing care, radiology, anesthesia, surgery, dentistry, laboratory and pharmacy ensuring that staff is trained and following practice standards of quality medical care.
• Audit charts periodically for accuracy.
• Includes documenting all client conversations, patient procedures, patient observations, and any other notes in medical records; calling clients to update patient condition, communicating drop off and pick up times, assisting the veterinarian with client phone calls and questions, and maintaining/ creating client information packets.
• Oversees training of all staff in accordance to the principals of the practice; Mission Statement, Core Values, and Vision Statement, and that the above is known and practiced by all.
• Oversee client flow to ensure that clients and patients are seen and treated in a professional, timely and competent manner.
• Assist Practice Manager and/or Office Manager with administration and review of client medical complaints.
• Work with Practice Manager and/or Office Manager to modify and update systems and procedures wherever needed to better serve clients, patients, the practice and employees, (modify schedules for the most productive use of time).
• When needed, verify receipt of all inventory and supplies, mark invoices and packing slips received and give to Practice Manager and/or Office Manager for processing.
• Meet with Practice Manager and/or Office Manager for feedback reports – bi-weekly.
• With the Practice Manager/Office Manager/OSHA Captain, ensure that the OSHA and Safety program, procedures and reports, are being continuously monitored, and updated to keep the hospital is in safety compliance.
• Meet with the Owner and Practice Manager regularly to discuss, evaluate and plan for the welfare of the practice.
• Motivate technical staff.
• Periodically review all transactions for accuracy and missed services through chart audits.
• Oversee that records are kept up to date. This includes client records with charges, medical history, vaccine status, medications administered, laboratory reports, etc.
• Ensure that the all hospital logs are being kept up to date and accurate including anesthesia /surgery, radiology and controlled substance logs.
• Monitor technical staff scheduling so the practice operates within budget.
• Review charges on a daily basis to ensure that all charges have been captured.
• Ensure that the hospital staff utilizes the practice’s marketing tools and materials.
• Ensure that the hospital staff follows instructions for the implementation of any authorized marketing discounts in the computer system.
• Oversee the Hospital Attendants in the maintenance and housekeeping of the hospital for cleanliness and organization of both the inside and outside of the building.
• Maintain a clean and tidy reception desk and lobby, free from animal hair and bodily waste, ensure coffee station is clean and stocked, assist Hospital Attendants in cleaning the exam rooms when needed.
• Participate in the Medical Committee meetings.
• Participate in any hospital management meetings.
• Read and respond to all communication in a timely manner.
• Ensure the practice policies, guidelines and recommendations are quickly communicated to the Technical team and ensure adequate training is provided.
DISCLAIMER: This job description is not meant to be an all-inclusive listing of duties expected of this position.
This job description, the duties and expectations may change at any time.