Assist and carry out those tasks required to maintain client communications, patient care, and basic client needs with Technicians and Doctors.
Knowing client and patient names and the reason for their visit, taking and entering into Avimark brief patient
history, smile and be empathetic and comforting.
Includes case presentation at rounds, rooming and admitting patients/ clients, TPR, medication administration,
filling prescriptions, and client education, including estimates, side effects, drugs, conditions, etc.
Includes assisting Technicians and Doctors with collection and processing of blood, urine, tissue, or fluid samples, in house differentials, and performing diagnostic procedures, cytology, taking multiple X-RAY images and understanding the patient positioning and alignment for radiological studies, placing IV catheters.
Includes assisting Doctors and Technicians in handling patients for procedures, exams, x-ray, sample collection,
using safety equipment such as muzzles when needed keep patients warm and dry, monitor patients for needing to
go out for elimination.
Includes documenting all client conversations, patient procedures, patient observations, and any other notes in
medical records; calling clients to update patient condition, communicating drop off and pick up times, assisting the veterinarian with client phone calls and questions, and maintaining/ creating client information packets.
Scheduling new and existing patients on the phone and in person as needed, collecting data, placing reminder calls 1 day before, making recheck appointments at the time of check-out, and tracking and rescheduling cancelled appointments as needed if Reception is busy.
INVENTORY AND SUPPLY:
Include maintaining a clean and orderly practice (working with the Hospital Attendants), checking inventory supplies if accessing the pharmacy cabinet, maintaining supply lists (writing needed items on the order board), stocking of rooms, treatment rooms, and reception area (if needed).
Includes creation of estimates and invoices for all services rendered if requested by Doctor or Technician.
Recording all conversations with clients in the medical records, recording messages and patient updates as reported by client upon intake. In addition to exam room duties, Exam Room Assistants are asked to assist the receptionists with the following:
Place priority on answering the phone before the 4th ring, ensure that appropriate coverage exists to phones are never left unanswered, check and process voicemail (if needed), triage phone calls for Doctors and Technicians and report degree of urgency. Process all client phone requests and document all phone conversations with clients in the medical record.
Maintain a clean and tidy reception desk and lobby, free from animal hair and bodily waste, ensure coffee station is
clean and stocked, assist Hospital Attendants in cleaning the exam rooms when needed.
OTHER POSSIBLE DUTIES, which include completing available continuing education, and other duties assigned to you.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The
requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/ or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Communicate effectively with clients.
• Work within a team framework, take direction, and interact as the situation dictates.
• Communicate and understand verbal and written directions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
• Previous veterinary experience required.
• Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to understand patient history and communicate history correctly and accurately in the practice management software. Ability to speak effectively with hospital staff and clients.
• Ability to calculate figures and amounts, such as discount percentages, inventory markup, area, circumference, volume, drug dosages in ml or mg, conversion of pounds to kilograms, kilograms to pounds, and kilograms to meters squared. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra.
• Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several variables in standardized situations.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
• Registration status is preferred and is the responsibility of the employee to maintain appropriate renewal requirements.
• The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals and risk of radiation. Use of practice provided Personal Protective Equipment is essential if needed for any duty. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be regularly exposed to the possibility of an animal bite or scratch from an animal. Proper restraining techniques are to be followed at all times.
• The noise level in the environment is moderate.
• The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential function.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, restrain, handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit. The employee is regularly required to lift up to 50 pounds. The vision requirements include: close vision, distant vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
DISCLAIMER: This job description is not meant to be an all-inclusive listing of duties expected of this position.
This job description, the duties and expectations may change at any time.